Thursday, January 12, 2006

A comparison of earlier works




It is important to constantly learn and grow.

In my opinion, it is also important to NOT get emotionally attached when we are first learning how to do something. As we gain knowledge and skills, we need to take a look back and see what we have learned and take the steps necessary to become better at whatever we are doing. Sometimes it is important to look back on some of our earlier works and see how we can improve them. It is ok to look back and reflect. It is wonderful to bask in the joy of growth.

Here are some earlier pieces I worked on. They were 8x10 layouts. I selected this size because I COULD print it at home on my own printer with my own paper of choice. I won't even say that these were 100% completed before I moved on and "redesigned" them. I thought it would be interesting for others to see where we come from. Maybe it will give them more desire to improve, grow, and digiscrap more. *wink*

== Important credits ==
There are not a whole lot of credits to give. All of the elements used were made by me. The tags, the patterned paper, torn paper, vellum, the bards. . .

Fonts used on Andrew's layout: Palantino Linotype (in italic)
Fonts used in Kyle's layout: Comic Sans
Fonts used in Lance's layout: Palantino Linotype

== Programs used ==
» Macromedia Fireworks MX
» Adobe Photoshop Elements 2
» Adoble Photoshop 7

I think the thing that I learned most about doing these three layouts is to just have fun. No, I won't call them my best works of art. At the same time, I won't call them my worst.

In reality, I learned a lot while working on these three layouts. Each layout offered it's own challenges. I learned how to make patterned paper. I learned how to tear paper. There is a fine art to tearing paper digitally. It isn't an exact science either. I learned a lot of about dropping shadows and making things appear to be more realistic when compared to a true paper scrapbook page. I played with image correction and alteration (turning to sepia tones, editing things out, etc). I even stepped right into playing with color.

It is important to learn the programs that you are using. The more you know about your digital scrapbooking "environment," the more comfortable you will be. If you are comfortable, you will will be willing to try different things. If you are using one program and you have given it a real honest effort, don't be afraid to change to something else. Just think about how it will look on your resume. *wink*

No comments:

Credits: Stacey Sansom's "Summer Delights" | Fonts used: ...............